The presence of skateboarding is enormous, and it’s only about to get bigger by the implementation of it in the Olympics. Almost everyone will encounter skateboarding sooner or later, may it be on the streets or media. But what if this wasn’t the case?
I was 18 years old, just sold my beloved moped and I didn’t know what to do in life. Unemployed, never graduated and just started a YouTube-Channel.
A post by “Suicidal Tendencies” popped up on Facebook. They would come to a skate shop in Berlin, for a meet and greet. Though I live in Germany, Berlin is pretty much at the other end of the country. Comparing hotel and possible travel prices, I figured, that the money I’ve made from selling my moped, was enough, as my demands for a hotel aren’t extraordinary. I even had some money leftover. From the latter, I chose to buy something that I was considering for a while. A modern-day old school shaped deck. The “Welcome Banshee 90”-Deck was about to be mine.
Almost any skateboarding trick that has a “360” in its name counts as intermediate. Intimidating for beginners. Backside 360’s are one of those maneuvers that I would only attempt at a game of S.K.A.T.E. in defense. However, SkatePunk team rider Paul Taylor probably does one as soon as he wakes up, and continues to do them for the rest of the day. It has to be that way because I can’t explain how else he would be so good at it. Do you want to learn BS 360’s? Let them be taught by the master in the video below.
By now you should be aware that skateboarding has evolved to include and make more things acceptable. For example, I ride a 9”+ board and have the chance to skate hollow trucks that size and attempt (and always fail) to jump off of something and throw in a slappy. Ledges, rails, coping, stairs, curbs are okay but never forget about the barrier.
For beginner skateboarders, ramps are a scary subject. These seemingly huge and incredible obstacles are, what beginners often avoid because they’re afraid of it. I used to be the same, the lack of a pleasant local skatepark made me a street only skateboarder. This resulted in me, even after 10 years of skateboarding, and having a proper board-control developed, still losing my mind over these ramps. The following guidance is for beginners, who have never skated a kicker or a jumpramp.
With his newest upload, SkatePunk team rider Paul Taylor definitely does not disappoint us. Starting the video with some clips on a skatepark bench, it’s quite noticeable, that he’s a perfectionist. If the foot is just one inch off, he redoes it until it’s the way Paul wants it to be. Paul Taylor follows it up, with a flatground trick practice where he does both, old and modern-day tricks. Paul finishes the montage with flatbar tricks and a slow-motion compilation.
Are you a skateboard-nerd trying to learn all about our history and subculture? Then, I found the right place to be! It’s YouTube! Not because of some generic vlog where 90% is talking, and the other 10% may be somewhat skateboarding related, no, I am talking about “Rad Rat Video.” He already has a lot of content on his channel, and he publishes new videos three times a week! He’s growing really fast (20k subscribers as of 30th October 2017) thanks to his outstanding videos.
Today, I decided to tell you about the story, from the deck, that was ordered right after my previous skateboard from part one, snapped. Since boards from American companies were a bit more expensive than their European counterparts over here in Germany, I chose to purchase the “SK8DLX Nerd Is Over” deck.
Frequent uploads on YouTube-Channels seems like a necessity for every big content creator. That’s why I highly appreciate the small channels, ran by people that attempt their best to keep a constant upload rate while consolidating that with their private life and a job. The person, I am about to present to you, is a passionate skateboarder who is sharing his progress of trying to (re-)learn how to skate at the age of 38.
I kind of like the idea of just skateboarding, very little talking or other stuff. Now that all that pops up in my subscription feed is vlogs that consist of talking about 95% of the videos, I thought that this sort of edit could be refreshing for you all to watch. Just some skateboarding tricks I like to do with some chill music in the background. Oh yeah, I also threw a backflip in there. I guess that this is Strictly 99% skateboarding then.